History and images have been compiled from various sources including, among others, the 1987 National Register of Historic Places, Stack & Beasley's 1902 Sketches of Monroe and Union County, Union County Public Library (Patricia Poland, Genealogy & Local History Librarian), the Heritage Room Photo Collection, North Carolina Map Collection, Rootsweb - An Ancestry.com Community and Ancestry.com family histories.

Old First Presbyterian Church

Early Postcard
1907 Postcard
1909 Postcard
1937
1901 Postcard
"First Presbyterian Church of Monroe was organized on September 26, 1873. In early 1873 the Mecklenburg Presbytery had appointed Reverend S.C. Alexander to establish a church in Monroe. The Methodist Episcopal Church at the corner of Windsor and Church Street agreed to sell our new church their one room frame building for $1300.00. There were two elders and sixteen charter members.  Five members each gave their individual notes for a total of $1300.00 to finance the property. The Reverend Alexander served until 1877 and membership increased to thirty-six.

"By 1900 a new sanctuary was needed. The new church was of Washington red brick and trimmed in Georgia granite. The first service was September 1, 1901. This church had electricity and magnificent crystal chandeliers donated by Mrs. Ellen Fitzgerald. By 1931 a Sunday School building was completed. Three members of our church, Dr. J.M. Belk, W.H. Belk and R.A. Morrow organized, built and helped finance sixteen Presbyterian Churches throughout Union County between 1910 and the 1930s.

"In 1968 plans were made to build a new sanctuary, offices and additional Sunday School rooms. The original brick building was razed. On June 22, 1969 the first service was held in the new sanctuary. In 1980 the original Sunday School building was razed and an Educational/Fellowship building was built. In 1995 this building was incorporated into the present fellowship building.
" - First Presbyterian Church website

No comments:

Post a Comment