History and images have been compiled from various sources including, among others, the 1987 National Register of Historic Places, Stack & Beasley's 1902 Sketches of Monroe and Union County, Union County Public Library (Patricia Poland, Genealogy & Local History Librarian), the Heritage Room Photo Collection, North Carolina Map Collection, Rootsweb - An Ancestry.com Community and Ancestry.com family histories.

Robert B. Redwine House

Photo - Heritage Room Collection
Robert B. Redwine House
1711 Waxhaw Road circa 1908
Waxhaw-Weddington Rds. Historic District
National Register 1988
 

This Waxhaw-Weddington Road Residence
(pictured in 1902 Stack & Beasley) burned.
Redwines lived in a "tenant's house" until they
were able to construct the 1908 brick home.
“The Redwine House is said to have been built between 1908 and 1910 for Judge R.B. Redwine, following a fire which had destroyed an earlier frame dwelling on the same site. Redwine had acquired property in this location in the mid 1890s, building on the site in 1897 to designs provided by C.C. Hook of Charlotte. An early 20th century photograph shows the earlier house to have been a typical late Victorian farmhouse. While the new and substantial brick residence was under construction by local contractor G. Marion Tucker, the Redwines lived in a small frame house to the east of the main house site; this building survives as rental property.

“Robert B. Redwine (1860-1938) was a native of Union county, a son of Dr. T.W. Redwine. He was licensed as an attorney in 1889, beginning his practice in Monroe in 1891. At various times, he formed partnerships with other Union county legal luminaries, including D.A. Covington, Judge A.M. Stack, and John C. Sikes. During the gubernatorial term of Angus W. McLean (1925-29), he was appointed as a superior court judge.

“Redwine served his community and state in many capacities, including chairman of the county commissioners, the county board of education and the county board of exemptions during World War I, in the state General Assembly and senate, and on the board of trustees of the University of North Carolina for 32 years. At the time of his death, he was president of the Union County Bar Association and was known as the "dean of the Monroe bar."

“In 1895, Redwine was married to Sallie McAlister of Anson County, who survived him by little more than one year. When Redwine was declared bankrupt in 1927, most of the farmland that he owned at the time was sold so that he and his wife could buy back their residence, which they later deeded to two of their daughters.

“The latter sold the house after their parents' deaths to another Monroe attorney, Oscar L. Richardson. Richardson's widow sold the house to Mr. and Mrs. James H. Belk in 1967; it was acquired in 1986 by Dr. and Mrs. Virgilio S. Ipapo, although the Belks retained ownership of the small frame rental house.”

House
“Set about 150 feet from the highway at the apex of a semi-circular drive is the R.B. Redwine House. In front of the house is an open lawn, ending in a long privet hedge at the road, while to the sides and rear are mature trees of a variety of species, part of a planned landscape scheme.

“The house itself is a two-story, stretcher bond brick rectangle three bays wide and four deep. Projecting from the west elevation is a two-story, three-sided bay, and on the rear is a one-story brick kitchen wing. At the east side is a one-story, semi-circular enclosed porch. Centered in the front elevation is a one-story, hipped-roofed rectangular portico with triple Ionic columns at the front corners. This porch was originally topped by a low balustrade.

“Covering the house is a hipped, slate-shingled roof capped by a sheetmetal pan. Flanking this pan are a pair of corbelled-capped chimneys. Over the west bay and centered in the front of the house are pedimented gables that have tin-shingled faces. The front gable has a lunette with tracery, while the side gable has a louvered lunette. Pairs of consoles support the ends of the boxed cornice at the front gable.

“Most of the windows in the house have rock-faced stone sills and lintels and one over one, double-hung sash. On the second floor at the front, the tripartite center window has diamond-patterned muntins in the upper sash, while the first floor of the west bay has cross-muntined sash in small, triple windows set high on the dining room wall. The front door has large sidelights and transoms fitted with leaded, beveled glass in a lozenge pattern, and having shields worked in the glass in the upper corners.

“The enclosed porch on the east elevation consists of a rectangular section immediately next to the house, with a semi-circular end. Large areas of glazing have been inserted between paired Tuscan columns above a vertical tongue and groove board wainscot. Documentary photos show a balustrade at the porch roof level which has disappeared.

“On the interior, the house has a large central hall with paneled oak wainscoting and a prominent stair. On either side are two large rooms each. The east and front west rooms have relatively simple molded door and window surrounds and classically-detailed mantels with glazed tile faces around the fireplace openings. The rear west room, which extends into the bay, was originally the dining room and has a high, paneled oak wainscot and an oak mantel with mirrored overmantel flanked by glass-fronted cabinets.

“On the second floor, the central hall is divided mid-way by a glazed divider. At each side of the hall is a pair of bedrooms. These rooms have relatively simple painted trim, six horizontal panel doors and classical or craftsman-style mantels, except for the room over the dining room, which has an oak mantel.

Outbuildings
--Two-story, gable-roofed brick building erected in 1941 as a smokehouse
and utility building. Located directly behind main house.
--One-story, hipped-roofed, weatherboarded frame garage, ca.1920,
located to the southwest of the main house.
--ca.1900 one-story, gable-roofed frame tenant house or pair of tenant
houses which have been joined together. Located in the southwest corner
of the property.
--ca.1920 one-story gable-roofed frame granary with attached shed
garage adjacent to tenant houses.”

Redwine Tenant House—1709 Waxhaw Road circa 1907
(no photo) “The Redwine Tenant House sits parallel to the R.B. Redwine House on a slight rise about 150 feet from the road, separated from the larger house by a hedge and a row of pecan and water oak trees. Cross-shaped in plan, the clapboarded one-story frame house has intersecting gable roofs with the west arm being several feet lower. There is a corbelled-capped chimney at the intersection of the gables and another astride the ridge of the larger gable.

“A hipped-roofed porch fills the northeast angle of the building, its roof supported by turned columns that are hidden by a modern screen wire enclosure. The rear wall of the porch is sheathed with narrow shiplap siding. A matching porch at the rear of the house was enclosed ca. 1940 to form several rooms.

Most windows on the house are two over two, with plain surrounds. There are two entrances from the front porch, both with partially-glazed doors. Each of the gables has small rectangular louvers.

“The interior of the house consists of four rooms, plus bath and kitchen added in the rear porch enclosure. Window and door surrounds have symmetrically-molded architraves with bull's-eye corner blocks, and the doors are five-panel. Two of the rooms have Eastlake-derived mantels.

“R.B. Redwine purchased the tract on which this house sits in 1897. According to family history, it was occupied by the Redwines following the burning of their frame house and during construction of the existing brick one. Later it served as a tenant house.

Outbuildings
--Ca.1940 gable-roofed frame garage behind house.
--Ca.1940 shed-roofed frame shed/chicken house to rear of main house.
--Deteriorated ca.1900 frame one-story garage to southeast of main house.
--Ca.1930 gable-roofed frame storage building to southeast of main house.”

Family:
Robert Burwell Redwine Sr., born 12 July 1860 and died 14 Sept 1938, was the son of Dr. Thomas Whiting Redwine and Mary Ann Clark. He married Sarah Wall McAlister (1874-1939) 17 April 1895. Children: Sarah McAlister (1896-) married Gilbert Patterson McKinnon, Robert B. Jr. (1900-1946) married Hodgie Williams, Thomas Worth (1901-1930) married Dorothy Simpson Lee, John McAlister (1903-1953), Florence Stackhouse (1906-1996), Katherine (1907-) married Claiborn Tuck, Margaret (1909-1997) married Fulton Allen Huntley and

Elizabeth A. (1914-).

No comments:

Post a Comment