History and images have been compiled from various sources including, among others, the 1987 National Register of Historic Places, Stack & Beasley's 1902 Sketches of Monroe and Union County, Union County Public Library (Patricia Poland, Genealogy & Local History Librarian), the Heritage Room Photo Collection, North Carolina Map Collection, Rootsweb - An Ancestry.com Community and Ancestry.com family histories.

Monroe Telephone Exchange 1902

Stack & Beasley photo
"There are, perhaps, a larger percentage of telephone subscribers in Monroe than in any other town in N.C. This is due to the fine service this system gives and the moderate rates which they charge, $1 per month for residence, $1.50 for offices and $2 for business houses.

"The company was incorporated in 1898, and began business with only 28 phones. It now has 234 city subscribers, with connections with Charlotte, Wadesboro, Waxhaw, Marshville, Wingate, Polkton, Peachland, Lilesville, Rockingham, Morven, Matthews, Mt. Holly, Lincolnton, Gastonia, Concord, Osceola, Catawba, Edgemore, Chester, Rock Hill, Fort Mills, Lancaster, Kershaw, and with hundred of places in the county.

"The company adopts all the latest and improved apparatus, and its office is open all day and all night. In the office is a regulator and subscribers are furnished Washington time when they want it, and the office will call subscribers at any hour of the night to meet trains or for other purposes.

"The officers are: R.A. Morrow, president and general manager; J.D. McRae, vice-president; C.W. Bruner, secretary and treasurer; W.H. Norwood, superintendent; directors, Dr. J.M. Blair, R.A. Morrow, C.W. Bruner, J.R. English, Jas. H. Lee and J.D. McRae; operators, Miss Leola McColl, Miss Claire Ramsey, Miss Dora Aldridge; city collector, Miss Ola Bruner. The central office is located in the new Belk building, in quarters constructed for it." - Sketches of Monroe…Stack & Beasley 1902

No comments:

Post a Comment