History and images have been compiled from various sources including, among others, the 1987 National Register of Historic Places, Stack & Beasley's 1902 Sketches of Monroe and Union County, Union County Public Library (Patricia Poland, Genealogy & Local History Librarian), the Heritage Room Photo Collection, North Carolina Map Collection, Rootsweb - An Ancestry.com Community and Ancestry.com family histories.

Dr. John William Neal

Heath-Williamson-Neal House circa 1874
601 S. Church Street

"Merchant B.D. Heath moved from Waxhaw to Monroe in 1874, probably building this house soon afterward. In 1878 it was purchased by store clerk S.R. Williamson who remodelled it, possibly adding some of the Italianate detailing. The two-story, three-bay single pile Italianate portion of the house has deep eaves supported by scroll-sawn brackets and a gabled front bay with an ornamental insert. Two chimneys with corbelled caps rise from the rear of the house. On the front of the house are pairs of two over two windows, above which are triple one over one windows. High in the gable ends are double round-headed vents. Dr. J.W. Neal owned the residence from 1901 to 1918 and apparently added the Classical Revival, L-shaped front porch with tall Tuscan columns and the curious paired Tuscan columns which support the returns of the front gable. Beaded tongue and groove siding was installed under the porch and behind the second floor columns. The front entrance was also altered by the additon of a large single door with sidelights and transoms. A series of one-story wings have been added to the rear. Other owners have included Dr. W.D. Pemberton, W.C. Sanders, assistant treasurer of the Sikes Company, and auditor F.L. Wolfe." National Register

"Dr. J.W. Neal was born June 25th, 1859 in Stokes County, NC. Graduated at the University of North Carolina in 1881 with the degree of A.B. In 1884 he graduated at the University Medical College of New York City and at once began practice in his native community. Granted license by the State Board of Medical Examiners in 1887 and again returned to New York, where he took a post-graduate course in general medicine and a specialll course in diseases of women and children, completing the prescribed course in 1889. In 1890 he was elected a member of the board of county commissioners and served for 6 years--four years as chairman of the board. Also served three years on the board of education, resigning when he moved to Monroe. Dr. Neal is a cultivated gentleman and has always stood in the front ranks of his profession. He has been remarkably successful. He came to Monroe in March, 1901, and his success was immediate." Stack & Beasley

John William Neal (1859-1944) was the son of William E. Neal and Mary Ann Moore of Stokes County. In 1886 Danbury, Stokes County, Neal's first marriage was to Charity Mae Pepper (1868-1902). Children: Horace Moore (1888-1964) married Annie Fitzgerand Houston, Hallie M. 1889-1970) married Walter Crane Sanders, Kemp Prather (1892-1978) married Alma A Andrews, Paul Nathaniel (1894-1930) married Grace _____, Helen Josephine "Jo" (1896-1921), John William (1899-1919) who died of meningitis.

Neal's second marriage, 1904, was to Ida G. Gribble (1863-1947), daughter of William Henry Gribble and Melissa Laney of Union County.
At the time of his death, Neal's address was 305 Morris Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment