History and images have been compiled from various sources including, among others, the 1987 National Register of Historic Places, Stack & Beasley's 1902 Sketches of Monroe and Union County, Union County Public Library (Patricia Poland, Genealogy & Local History Librarian), the Heritage Room Photo Collection, North Carolina Map Collection, Rootsweb - An Ancestry.com Community and Ancestry.com family histories.

Myers-Smith House circa 1880

Marmaduke David Myers (1839-1909) was born in the Chesterfield District of South Carolina to Ransom Joshua Myers and Matilda Huntley. 

On October 27, 1859 M.D. Myers married Sarah Elizabeth Timmons (1841-1920); Sarah was the daughter of King Cyrus Timmons (1812-1882) and Nancy Allene Alsobrook (1815-1907) of Union County.

The 1870 census found farmer Myers family in White Store, Anson County (post office Wadesboro) with children Lydia Catherine 9 (1861-1942), Marmaduke 8 (1862-1877) and 4-year-old Charles (1866-1890).
According to the National Register, below, Isaac S. Huntley sold Myers the lot in 1879. Isaac Stephen Huntley of Chesterfield County, SC (1839-1922), was son of John Isaac Huntley (1814-1895) and Rebecca Elizabeth Timmons (1820-1870).

1882 Gray's Map of Monroe
M.D. Myers - Corner of Hayne and Hudson
The 1880 Monroe census noted: 40-year-old policeman Marma D., wife Sarah and children Charlie 14, Annie 8 and 6-year-old Alsobrook Myers.

Annie G. Myers married Julian C. Smith on November 13, 1895.

House - 703 S. Hayne Street

The 1882 Gray's Map of Monroe indicates that M.D. Myers built a house on this lot shortly after purchasing it from Isaac S. Huntley in 1879. Myers is listed in the 1890 Branson's Business Directory as town marshall and a wine maker. Upon the death of Myers in 1909, the Italianate-style house was inherited by his daughter Annie Myers Smith, whose husband Julian was a salesman with R.A. Morrow Company. The house appears on the 1914 Sanborn Map with its current configuration, suggesting that the Smiths remodeled the house soon after Mrs. Smith inherited it. The current arrangement consists of a T-plan; a two-story, single-pile frame cross-gabled portion overlaid at the rear with a hipped-roofed, single-pile wing. Centered in the three-bay front elevation is a one-bay, flat-roofed colossal portico with a pair of fluted Ionic columns. An L-shaped, one-story porch runs behind the column line of this portico, supporting a second floor balcony that has a turned-baluster railing. The first floor has an Italianate door surround with shouldered architrave, octagonal panels below the sidelights and brackets between transom panels. The second floor has a neo-classical door surround with sidelights and transom. Centered in the front of the roof over the portico is a large gabled dormer with a Palladian window. At the southeast corner of the house is a one-story, gable-roofed addition. Window sash on the house are one over one. The south gable has a step-shouldered exterior chimney with corbelled cap. There is also an interior chimney with corbelled cap. - NR 

All photos of the house are contemporary and were found online.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete